Rootline

  1. SLUB Dresden
  2. About Us
  3. History of the SLUB

History of the SLUB

On the Emergence and Merging of Two Traditional Libraries

Since 2002

  • 1999: The construction of a new central building on the TU Dresden campus began.
  • 1 August 2002: Opening of the building for users and continuation of some branch libraries (DrePunct, Branch Library of Law, Branch Library of Education, Branch Library of Medicine, Branch Library of Forestry in Tharandt)
  • Today, the SLUB is one of the largest and most efficient academic libraries; it sees itself as an innovation and coordination centre from the paper library to the digital library.

1996 - 2002

  • Since August 1996, the office building "DrePunct" has been the seat of the general management and the administration of the Saxon State Library - Dresden State and University Library, in which the State and University Library merged. 
  • From summer 1998, the holdings of some branch libraries are also housed here
  • To this day, the DrePunct, as a departmental library, is the SLUB's largest location after the Central Library.

Dresden University Library

1945 - 1996

  • 1945: Relocation of the then library of the TH Dresden (with 55,000 saved volumes) to the former fraternity house of the "Erato" singers' society.
  • 1957: Opening of two reading rooms.
  • Since 1961, the former TH has been operating under the name of Technical University.
  • 1968: Merger of the 121 decentralised sectional libraries into 26 sectional and other libraries
  • 1983/84: Designation as the Central Technical Library of the GDR/Central Specialist Library of the GDR for Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science

1875 - 1945

  • 1875: The Polytechnic (from 1890: Technical University) and the library move to a new building south of the main railway station, a reading room is available for the first time.
  • At the end of the Second World War, the university library loses its domicile, a considerable part of its holdings and a large number of important catalogues

1846 - 1875

  • The library of the Royal Polytechnic School or Royal Saxon Polytechnic moves to Antonsplatz.
  • The holdings grows rapidly

1840 - 1846

  • 1840: Relocation of the library to the Landhaus

1832 - 1840

  • The Technical Educational Institution is located next to the Picture Gallery (today's Museum of Transport) near the Jüdenhof
    The collection is initially housed on the ground floor
  • 1833: It moves into two rooms on the 1st floor

1828 - 1832

  • Initially, the libraries of the Landes-Ökonomie-Manufactur, the Commerzien-Deputation and the Ökonomische Gesellschaft are used on loan to supply literature to the Königlich-Sächsische Technische Bildungsanstalt (Royal Saxon Technical College)
  • The library finds its first domicile in the Finanzhaus

Regional Library

1947 - 2002

  • Since 1917, operating as the (Royal) Saxon State Library, developing into one of the most modern academic libraries in Germany.
  • After the destruction of the Japanese Palace in the Second World War, the library moves to the barracks in Marienallee
  • The SLB is the only one of the state libraries in the GDR to retain this function
  • 1983: Establishment of the collection focus on fine arts and music
  • Integration of the previously independent Deutsche Fotothek (German Photo Library) as a department

1786 - 1945

  • 1786: The Electoral Library is transferred from the Zwinger Pavilions to the Japanese Palace.
  • 1788: Head Librarian Johann Christoph Adelung is successful in opening the now Electoral (from 1806: Royal) Public Library to a wider circle of users.

1728 - 1786

  • 1728: The library moves to several pavilions in the Zwinger (marked "D" on the floor plan).
  • Enormous increase in holdings after the Seven Years' War
  • Takeover of the private libraries of the Counts Bünau (1764, approx. 42,000 volumes) and Brühl (1768, approx. 62,000 volumes)

1701 - 1728

  • 1701 wird die Bibliothek nach einem Schlossbrand in den Klepperstall und in das Regimentshaus am Jüdenhof evakuiert

1574 - 1586

  • In 1574, Elector August I had his book collection moved to Annaburg near Torgau, where it remained until his death (1586). 
  • The first catalogue of the electoral "Liberey" dates from the same year. 
  • In 1586, the "Liberey" was brought back to the palace in Dresden on the orders of Elector Christian I after the death of his father.

1556 - 1574

  • Intensive acquisition of books for the private library of Elector August, located in the Dresden Residence Palace