Many people wonder who their ancestors were and how they lived. Family research - or genealogy - seeks answers to these questions. Would you also like to go in search of your own roots? At the SLUB Dresden you will find support.
Genealogy is not an independent discipline, but an auxiliary historical science. Its goal is the research of gender sequences, which holds many mysteries. The SLUB Dresden offers diverse source material and our colleagues will support you in your research.
With the help of numerous genealogical sources, you can follow the traces of your ancestors in our digital and analogue holdings. The following sources refer in particular to Saxony and the Central German region.
Introductory works on genealogy can be found in the open access section
- ND 7240-ND 7900 Genealogy
- Genealogy - On the trail of ancestors: a guidebook for beginners and advanced researchers(SLUB Catalogue: ND 7240 A286)
- Wolfgang Ribbe: Pocketbook for family history research(SLUB catalogue: ND 7240 R483(13)
- Bernd Brucker: Genealogical research: help for beginners and research methods(SLUB catalogue: ND 7240 B888)
- ND 5020-ND 5830 Heraldry (heraldry) and sphragistics (heraldry of seals)
- Siebmacher's coat of arms book
- Siebmacher's coat of arms books online via DBISFriedrich Leist: Urkundenlehre : Katechismus der Diplomatik, Paläographie, Chronologie und Sphragistik 1882 (23.8.2134)
Further literature (selection)
GENEALOGICAL HANDBOOK OF THE NOBLE HOUSES (called 'Gotha') GENEALOGICAL HANDBOOK OF THE NOBILITY (continuation of Gotha)DEUTSCHES GESCHLECHTERBUCH - GENEALOGICAL HANDBOOK OF MIDDLE-CLASS FAMILIESDEUTSCHES FAMILIENARCHIV
- ANCESTRY - licensed by SLUB
- ARCHION - fee required use
- FAMILYSEARCH - free registration required
- GENEALOGY.NET - free use
- MY HERITAGE - paid use
Regional contact points
Research tips and individual advice
We are happy to support you in your genealogical research. To do so, book a free individual consultation appointment with our expert Juliane Flade at the knowledge bar. Our consulting team is supported by members of the Dresdner Verein für Genealogie e.V. (Dresden Genealogy Society ), especially for family tree creation and research in church books.
Alternatively, you can simply send us your request by e-mail.
Juliane Flade Project Manager Citizen Science and Inclusion Tel.: +49 351 4677-368 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org